Student employment is a form of institutional financial assistance and is contingent upon certain criteria. Generally, you must be a continuing Ball State University degree-seeking student and eligible to work in the United States to become employed on campus.  Eligibility will be determined, in part, by the university's participation with the Federal E-Verify authentication process which confirms that those hired by the university are eligible under the law to hold employment within the United States.

During fall and spring semesters, you must be enrolled at least half-time each term that you want to work.

  • 6 hours for undergraduate students
  • 5 hours for graduate students

During the summer, you may be eligible for on-campus student employment if any of the following apply:

  • You are enrolled at least half-time for the following fall semester.
  • You are a new student and have graduated from high school, been admitted to the university, and paid your enrollment deposit.
  • You will be graduating from the university at the end of summer and are enrolled in summer classes. You may work until the last day of your summer classes.

You are not eligible for on-campus student employment if any of the following apply:

  • You are not eligible to work in the United States.
  • You do not have a United States Social Security number assigned to you by the Social Security Administration.
  • You do not meet the enrollment requirements mentioned above.
  • You have withdrawn from the university or have been academically disqualified.
  • You have graduated and are not currently working toward a Ball State University degree.
  • The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has notified you that your financial aid prohibits you from working.
  • You are a guest, special or non-degree, high school, auditing, or continuing education student.

You may not begin to work or must quit working on campus immediately if any of the preceding conditions apply.  If you continue to work after completion of a Ball State University degree or after having been academically disqualified, you will be considered to be working in violation of your employment agreement with the university which requires you to be a continuing, degree-seeking student and not in compliance with the conditions above.