Regular Student Employees

This category comprises the vast majority of our student employees. Our hiring procedures are based upon the steps necessary for hiring these student candidates. Variations, exceptions, or added steps may be necessary to hire students in the categories listed below.

Federal Work Study Students

Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) as part of their financial aid package are students who have indicated that they are willing to work to offset their school expenses. For your purposes, Federal Work Study student employment is the same as regular student employment. You need not do anything differently when employing FWS students. However, if due to budgetary reasons, you wish to hire only FWS students, you may designate your student position as FWS only when posting the position. For more on Federal Work Study, please consult our Web site.

Graduate Assistants and Doctoral Fellows

Graduate assistants and doctoral fellows may accept additional part-time campus employment only with prior approval. If a limited amount of extra work is advisable and allowable, a letter of permission from the department where the student is employed as an assistant or fellow must be on file with the Career Center before he or she can get referrals to campus jobs. The letter must carry the approval of the assistant dean of the Graduate School.

All additional earnings are included in the student's regular paycheck.

For information on how to hire former graduate assistants and doctoral fellows as student employees during summers, please call the Career Center, 285-2432.

Honors Undergraduate Fellows

Honors Undergraduate Fellows may work up to 10 hours a week in addition to the 10 hours they commit for their Honors Undergraduate Fellowship. As with all student positions, students may not exceed a total of 20 hours of work a week. Work hours may be extended during breaks when classes are not in session.

Resident Assistants

Resident assistants in Ball State University residence halls may not accept additional part-time campus employment unless the director of Housing and Residence Life approves such employment. Copies of the approval must be on file with the Career Center and the Office of Payroll and Employee Benefits before the student applies for additional employment.

International Students

To be eligible to work on campus, international students must be authorized to work in the United States and have obtained a Permission to Work form from the Center for International Programs. This form confirms that their visa status permits them to work and that they are in good academic standing with the university. During their initial visit to the Career Center they must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification (or I-9) form required by the U.S. Government (according to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986). The I-9 form and the Permission to Work form must be on file with the Career Center before an international student can be referred for employment.

National Student Exchange Program

NSE students come to Ball State from other colleges and universities throughout the country. These students are subject to the rules and regulations of the host campus while on exchange. In addition, they remain as degree-seeking students at the home institution and are representing the home institution while on exchange. Therefore, they must meet academic requirements of the home campus and maintain standards of both the home and the host campuses. During their time at Ball State, they may work as student employees on campus.