Department: Career Center Account code: FOAPALPosition Title: Career and Experiential Job Number: 796 Learning Lab Career Assistant Supervisor: Deb Dolak Title: Coordinator of Career Resources
1. Position Function Statement This position offers the opportunity to work with career information in print and electronic formats while assisting clients, as well as the opportunity to develop customer service skills in a professional office.
2. Position Tasks A. Assist clients in using the print and electronic resources in the Career and Experiential Learning Lab. (50%) B. Assist with locating and evaluating new Web sites to bookmark on workstations, and for the Career Center's Web pages; add/delete links from Career Center Web pages using Sitecore content management system; assist in maintaining integrity of bookmarks. (30%) C. Electronically check resources used by clients in and out; reshelf materials. (5%) D. Assist in marketing the Career and Experiential Learning Lab through bulletin boards and displays. (5%) E. Assist in maintaining lab files in Microsoft Excel and Word. (3%) F. Assist in keeping Career and Experiential Learning Lab statistics. (2%) G. Answer the phone, take messages, and transfer calls to appropriate parties. (1%) H. Restock free-materials stand as needed. (1%) I. Keep area tidy and clean. (1%) J. Assist in staffing Career Center special events as scheduling permits. (1%) K. Perform other duties as assigned. (1%)
3. Minimum Required Qualifications Basic computer knowledge, Internet experience, and telephone and customer service experience; compliance with Career Center dress standards and expectations for career assistants; ability to lift a heavy book up to 15 lbs. for shelving on a 6 ft. high shelf; ability to answer the telephone and take messages; ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse; ability to read print resources and print on computer monitors.
4. Additional Preferred Qualifications Experience using CD-ROMs; demonstration of high commitment to excellent customer service; experience using Microsoft Office products; ability to work independently; demonstrated flexibility in a varying office environment; commitment to functioning as a team player.
5. Job Context Position requires student to work in a multi-faceted resource lab/library; student will be required to interact with clients by answering career-related questions using available resources; student will be required to be mobile while interacting with clients; student will also be required to sit at a desk to perform office-related activities on a computer; student will also be required to answer the phone and take messages.
6. Supervision Received Student will work under varying degrees of supervision. Some activities will be closely supervised, while others will require indirect to moderate supervision.
7. Supervision Provided Student may be required to supervise other student employees' work in monitoring the integrity of links on the Career Center's Web pages.
Copyright © 2017 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241