#1 Discussion Group Preparation Assignment:
You will need to complete these questions as preparation for the book discussion groups on Sunday, August 23, 2015. One or more of these questions may be used to guide your discussion.
1. Take a few minutes to review the current state of US and Iranian relations at the U.S. Department of State site: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5314.htm. How are the current relations related to the issues described by Dumas in her memoir?
2. Take a few minutes to review the entries at the Encyclopedia Britannica site: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/662699/Persian. What is the relationship between ‘Persian’ and ‘Farsi’?
3. Take a few minutes to read the excerpt about Islam in America from the PBS.org site: http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/feature/islam-in-america/. How was Islam introduced to the United States? How many followers of Islam currently live in the United States? What is a question that you have about Islam that you would like to learn more about?
4. Take a few minutes to read about the experience of women in Middle Eastern and Islamic Societies: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/globalconnections/mideast/questions/women/index.html. What are some misconceptions that the site attempts to address?
5. The author will be on campus on September 22nd and will present at 7:30pm in Emens auditorium. What question would you like to ask her?
#2 Common Writing Experience Essay Assignment:
Once you’ve finished reading the book, log on to the Freshman Common Writing Experience Site at http://cms.bsu.edu/About/AdministrativeOffices/FreshmanConnections/WritingExp.aspx to learn more about the essay.
You will then log in to the Freshman Blackboard Community on the Ball State University website at any time beginning July 15 and before August 15. We will send you an e-mail when the date approaches.
This data may be used for assessment purposes and will not affect your course placement. All students participating in Freshman Connections Common Reading Program are expected to complete this assignment, regardless of current placement in the Writing Program or prior credit (AP, dual-credit, transfer, or other) for one or more Writing Program courses; if you've received such credit, you will still receive credit for those courses.
If you have any questions please e-mail us Freshmanconn@bsu.edu.
Copyright © 2016 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241