Graduate Assistants in Disability Services have a broad exposure to disability in higher education and specific knowledge of the provision of services to students with disabilities. Responsibilities include:
- assist with the writing and editing of Disability Services’ semi-annual newsletter and coordinate the printing of the newsletter.
- conduct pre-admission contacts with students, parents, and high school personnel inquiring about support services for students with disabilities.
- meet with current students to discuss accommodations, services, and campus resources.
- represent the office at Admissions events and other classroom and campus presentations.
- assist with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of programs aimed at increasing disability awareness, including awareness month programming in March.
- assist with the coordination of support services for students with disabilities, i.e. readers, notetakers, and sign language interpreters.
- assist with the Disability Services orientation sessions for various disability groups.
- advise Alliance for Disability Awareness (ADA) and other specific committees as determined by the Director.
- assist in the maintenance of the office’s website.
Graduate assistants will assist office staff in maintaining records, assist with general office operations, and perform other duties as assigned.