College Campus Statistics
Although you may think that drinking lots of alcohol is part of the college experience, most Ball State students don’t drink to excess at parties. In fact, nearly two-thirds of students tell us they consume zero to four drinks when they party, and 62 percent drink two times a month or less.
Consider these sobering statistics before you take that first sip:
- 1,700 college students (between ages of 18 and 24) die each year from alcohol-related causes.
- More than 97,000 students are victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape annually.
- 400,000 students (ages 18-24) have unprotected sex under the influence of alcohol each year.
- 599,000 students are injured annually as a result of alcohol use.
- 696,000 students are assaulted each year by another student who has been drinking.
- 25 percent of college students report that their drinking caused them to fall behind in classes and receive lower grades overall.
Source: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (2007)