When students choose to consume alcoholic beverages, Ball State University encourages responsible practices and behavior in accordance with campus policies, the laws of the State of Indiana, and the City of Muncie. On and off campus violations of University policy and local and state laws related to alcohol will result in disciplinary action.
A. General Guidelines
1. University Sponsored Events - Illegal purchase, service, consumption, or possession of alcoholic beverages at any University-sponsored event on or off campus is prohibited. Upholding applicable local, state, and federal laws in connection with this policy is the joint responsibility of the persons in attendance at the activity, the sponsoring organization, and the management of the establishment in which the activity is held.
2. Illegal purchase, consumption, or possession of alcoholic beverages by any student under 21 years of age is prohibited wherever it may occur.
3. Providing alcoholic beverages at any time to an individual who is under 21 years of age is strictly prohibited.
4. Adverse behavior as a result of alcohol consumption, including disruption, disorderly conduct, and public intoxication shall be a violation of the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities (Code).
5. The sale of alcoholic beverages by any person without a license is strictly prohibited.
6. Students found responsible for providing alcohol to minors and selling or distributing alcohol in violation of state law shall be in violation of the Code.
7. Students hosting parties where (a) minors are allowed to consume alcohol (b) alcohol is provided to minors, (c) provided in excess to others, (d) otherwise distributed in violation of the law are subject to sanctions outlined in the Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities up to and including suspension or expulsion from the University.
B. On Campus: With respect to the service, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages on the Ball State University campus, state statutes and city ordinances will be enforced in addition to the following regulations:
1. Residents who are of legal age to possess or consume alcoholic beverages and who reside in University-operated employee apartments or University Apartment units may possess and consume such alcoholic beverages in the privacy of their residences.
2. Consumption and possession of alcohol may be permitted on some residence hall floors where all residents are of legal age to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Such use of alcoholic beverages will not be permitted in the public lounges, study lounges, recreation areas, dining rooms, or any area other than the student rooms.
C. Parental Notice: The University will notify parents/guardians of students under 21 years of age when a student is found responsible for (1) a violation of the drug policy, (2) a second violation of the alcohol policy, and (3) on the first violation of the alcohol policy when one or more of the following occurs:
• the student demonstrates a reckless disregard for his or her personal safety or the safety of others;
• medical attention to any person, including the student, is required as a result of the student's alcohol related behavior;
• there is property damage;
• the student operates a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol;
• the incident involves another serious violation;
• the student's alcohol-related behavior negatively impacts the learning environment.
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241