United Way Campaign


Several of the often asked campaign questions are listed. For all others, please call 765-285-1187.

Q: How does payroll deduction work?

A: Complete the Payroll Authorization Deduction card included in your packet and return it to your team captain along with your pledge card. If you don't know your employee ID, leave it blank. The total amount pledged will be divided into twelve equal monthly deductions from your pay. The United Way campaign officially ends in November of each year, thus the amount pledged will start being taken out of the January pay period.

Q:  May I use payroll deduction to make a single lump-sum donation?

A:  No.  The purpose of payroll deduction is to break the donation into payments over an extended period of time.  If you would like to make a lump-sum donation, please pay with cash or a personal check/money order made payable to United Way of Delaware County and submit it with your pledge card.    

Q: When do payroll deductions begin for pledges made to the current campaign?

A: Payroll deductions begin in January after the close of the current year's campaign. Payroll deductions  will be taken out in equal monthly amounts up through to the following December. The deductions will be taken until the pledged amount is satisfied or the employee submits a new pledge form.

Q:  What is the minimum dollar amount I can designate through payroll deduction?

A: One dollar.

Q:  I can't afford to pledge a large amount of money. Will a small contribution make a significant difference?

A: Absolutely! It doesn't take a great deal of money to make a big impact. An alternative to a monetary gift is to volunteer your time. For more information, contact the office of United Way of Delaware County at  288-5586.

Q: What should I do if I want to make a donation in the current year for tax purposes?

A: Please pay with cash or a personal check/money order made payable to United Way of Delaware County and submit it with your pledge card prior to the end of the calendar year.

Q: I lost my pledge card and payroll deduction card. May I request another set?

A: Both the pledge card and payroll deduction card are available online. Simply follow the instructions on the "How To Give" page.

Q: How can I find out how much I've donated to date for tax purposes?

A: The total deduction to date is available on your pay stub.

Q: How can I find out how much I pledged last year?

A:  Pay deductions are listed on your pay stub.

1) Look on your last pay stub from the previous year, or
2) Go to the Payroll and Employee Benefits web page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Self Server Banner (SSB) link and log in.

Q: Is it possible to cancel my pledge?

A:  Yes.

1. Print the Payroll Deduction card located on this site. Complete step four below.
2. Call 765-285-1187 and request another Payroll Deduction card be sent to you through campus mail; or
3. You may stop by University Human Resource Services in AD-350 and pick up a new card.
4.  Print your name and BSU ID number at the top of the form. Sign and date the card and place an "x" on the line at the bottom of the form where it reads: "To stop an authorization …" Send or drop the card off at the Payroll and Employee Benefits office, AD G29.

Q: What is the criteria for a department to be eligible to win a pizza party from Ball State University Dining?

A: Every department that has 100% participation (everyone in the department has made a donation) is eligible for the drawing to win a pizza party from Ball State University Dining. The winning department will be treated to a New York Style pepperoni and supreme pizza (enough for each person to have two slices), tossed garden salad with Italian or Ranch dressing, and one 20 oz. bottle of beverage. The winning department will be announced after the campaign ends and all pledge cards are returned to University Human Resource Services.

Q: Am I required to participate in this campaign?

A: No. The university is pleased to continue the tradition of offering employees the option to give to charitable organizations of their choice and acknowledges that giving is strictly on a volunteer basis.

Q: If I decide not to participate this year, do I need to return my pledge card? 

A: No, if you choose not to participate, there’s no need to return the pledge card. 

Q: What is Delaware County United Way’s Tax Receipt policy?

A: United Way of Delaware County will send a tax receipt to individuals for cash received in total of $250 or more during a calendar year. All other receipts will be sent upon request. To request acknowledgement, please check the box on the back of the blue pledge card. Your acknowledgment will be mailed to the address you have indicated on the front of the card. Please note that United Way cannot send receipts to those who utilize payroll deduction. The employee who uses payroll deduction can use their payroll pay stub as a receipt of payment and for tax purposes.

For more information, please contact the Delaware County United Way office at 765-288-5586.