Did you take foreign language classes in high school? If you studied Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Latin, or Spanish in high school and want to continue taking classes in that language at Ball State, you must take the placement test prior to enrolling in a language course. You cannot enroll in a higher level class than the test indicates. If you have studied more than two years of the language in high school, you cannot enroll in the 101 course without taking the placement exam or receiving permission from the Department of Modern Languages and Classics.
The best part about language placement is that once the indicated course is completed with a C or higher, you will receive credit for all lower level courses. It is a great way to earn free credits based on the experiences and knowledge that you accumulated in high school! Another incentive for taking foreign language courses is that those numbered 102 or higher may apply to the University Core Curriculum (UCC).
Important information on the Foreign Language Placement Exam
1. You can take each exam only one time.
2. Each exam is 30 minutes long.
3. Your score will be kept on file for the duration of your time at Ball State.
4. Please take the exam only if you have had two or more years of study in the language in high school or you are a native or heritage speaker of the language.
5. Do not take the placement exam if you intend to transfer advanced standing credits.
To complete the Foreign Language Placement Exam:
1. Go to bsu.edu.
2. Select “Current Students” at the top of the page.
3. Under “Key Academic Services” you will see Blackboard. Select it and log in.
4. Scroll down and look for a box titled “My Communities.”
5. Select “Modern Languages and Classics Placement Exam.”
6. You will see a list of languages on the left side of the screen; select your language.
7. Select the “Placement Exam” link.
8. Read the instructions and select “Begin.”
9. You will have 30 minutes to complete the test.
10. Once you have answered all the questions to your satisfaction, click “Submit.”
11. To view your results, select the Placement Results button at the bottom left side of the page.
12. Sign up for a class in the level indicated.
For more information please contact:
Department of Modern Languages and Classics
Ball State University
Copyright © 2017 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241