Community-Based Projects (CBP) was informally established in 1966 with the admission of the first class at the College of Architecture and Planning (CAP). From the beginning, students were involved with projects in Muncie and other communities as part of their academic studios. In 1969, with its participation in the first Indianapolis Inner City Study, the college established the Urban Design Studio the forerunner of CBP. The program was formally renamed in 1979 to better reflect its wide variety of activities, which have ranged from environmental-impact and growth-management studies to neighborhood revitalization and planning strategies for downtown development. Since 1969, we have been involved in more than 100 Indiana communities, ranging from one-day charrette workshops to a 22-month study. We have participated in national R/UDAT— Regional/Urban Design Assistance Teams—studies in Lafayette and Anderson and state-sponsored White River Park P/DAT—Public/Design Assistance Teams—and Indiana Commission for Higher Education public education programs. But we primarily have been involved with hundreds of local governmental, civic, and service organizations.
In each project, the desires and needs of the community are interfaced with the educational philosophy and goals of the program. Since 1969, we have been directly or indirectly responsible for approximately $120 million in public capital improvements throughout Indiana and countless dollars of related private investments.
Copyright © 2016 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241