As you will learn from our links and menus on this page, our university community has adopted a Statement on Sustainability, we are a signatory to the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) and the Talloires Declaration, and we are a charter school member of the Sustainability Tracking Assessment and Rating System (STARS). We have integrated sustainability into our Unit-level Strategic Plans and are installing a 45-building Geothermal District Heating and Cooling System to reduce our Greenhouse Gas emissions.
We host biennial Greening of the Campus (GOC) Conferences and our Council on the Environment (COTE) is the longest-standing such committee among colleges and universities in Indiana. We offer a broad range of academic programs that engage sustainability, and we sponsor student groups such as the Ball State Energy Action Team (BEAT), Emerging Green Builders (EGB), the Natural Resources Club (NRC), and Students for Responsible Consumerism (SRC).
Finally, we encourage you to survey and/or use our new STARS reporting tool: Mapping Sustainability at BSU.
For further information, please contact:
BSU Council on the Environment
- Read a feature Ball State Newcenter article on LEED certifications for new buildings on campus.
- Ball State has been selected as a "Satellite Conference Site" for the National Council for Science and the Environment's annual conference, "Energy and Climate Change" on January 27 -29 2015. See more details about how to view live sessions from this event on the Ball State campus.
- Ball State President Emerita Jo Ann M. Gora is a founding signatory of Second Nature's "Alliance for Resilient Campuses" program. Details of the program can be found here.
- President Emerita Jo Ann M. Gora received the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) Center for Green Schools 2013 President's Award. Click here for a video of Dr. Gora's acceptance speech.
- Progressing Campus Sustainability: Ball State University joins the International Sustainable Campus Network (ISCN). The ISCN provides a global forum to support leading colleges, universities, and corporate campuses in the exchange of information, ideas, and best practices for achieving sustainable campus operations and integrating sustainability in research and teaching.
- Presidential Voices Interview Series: Jo Ann M. Gora, Ball State University. AASHE's "Presidential Voices" interview series features conversations with heads of higher education institutions who are inspiring sustainability leaders.
- BSU received a Gold rating from the AASHE STARS program. Click here for the full press release.
Click Here for more news items.
Copyright © 2015 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241