In February of 1965, a bill was signed into law by the governor of Indiana creating the College of Architecture and Planning at Ball State University. This action followed an intensive study of Indiana’s need for an architecture school and a search for the best academic home for the new college.
We opened our doors to the first class in the autumn of 1966. Our clearly defined mission and plans for growth guided us then, as they do today.
Over the next couple of decades, the college grew from one undergraduate degree program in architecture to nine programs, including graduate degrees in architecture, historic preservation, landscape architecture, urban planning, and urban design. What started as four faculty members, including a dean, is now a collegiate faculty of approximately 50 members across three academic departments, including more than 25 full-time faculty in architecture alone.
From its original location in a converted Naval Reserve Armory comprised of three interconnected Quonset huts, the school moved to new quarters constructed from award-winning designs in 1972. A building expansion in 1982 tripled the available space for studios and classrooms, and added an archive, library, computer lab, media lab, and the Center for Energy Research, Education, and Service (CERES).
Copyright © 2016 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241