Welcome to the Department of Chemistry at Ball State University! We are a department that has a long history of focusing our efforts on giving our undergraduate and graduate students a high-quality learning experience in both the classroom and the laboratory settings. We incorporate problem-solving sessions into many courses, have faculty supervision in all laboratories, encourage cooperative learning, and provide numerous opportunities for both formal and informal student-faculty interactions. We take great pride in our faculty-student interactions.
We provide the following opportunities for students to help them become the best scientist that they can be:
- curriculum focusing on the essential elements of higher learning: critical thinking, problem solving, effective written and oral communication
- one of the largest summer undergraduate research programs in the nation (CRISP)
- a program to increase the number of underrepresented students in science
- an active, vibrant, and nationally award-winning chapter of our Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society (SAACS) that provides science programs to the local community
- hands-on, student-used, state-of-the-art instrumentation for laboratory studies
- a successful, research-based master of science program where graduate students have the opportunity to learn advanced experimental chemistry and modern instrumental techniques
- a new, unique, cross-disciplinary PhD in environmental sciences program for those interested in applying chemistry to solve timely environmental problems
- funded scholarships and biannual student award ceremonies
- an expert faculty and staff dedicated to serving their students
If you have any questions about our programs or how we can help you, do not hesitate to contact us.
Chairperson and Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry