Degree Requirements

  • Maintain the GPA required by the GPA policy (minimum of 3.0 overall GPA — see details here).
  • Complete all degree requirements.

Student Teaching

  • Successfully complete student teaching
  • Attend mandatory student teaching meeting one year prior to student teaching
  • Generally students will apply one year before the semester that they student teach
  • Enroll in EDSE 460 and EDSE 465 during the semester that they student teach

LAMP Requirement

Complete the Learning Assessment Model Project (LAMP) requirement during student teaching.

Developmental Area Assessment for Licensure

Pass the developmental (pedagogy) area and content area assessments (test).

Candidates seeking an initial practitioner license in English Language Arts (512) are required to pass the following assessments (tests):

Developmental (Pedagogy) Area Assessment, Secondary School:
(006) Secondary Education [5–12]
(Note: Candidates must pass the developmental area assessment that matches the grade level in which they are planning to teach.)   

Language Arts Content Area Assessment (Associated with Grade Levels):
(021) English Language Arts [5–12]
(Note: This test allows candidate to teach content in grades 5–12.)

We recommend that you take the test the semester before you student teach. If you somehow miss the test or fail it, then you can take it during your semester of student teaching. Additional information is available in the Office of Teacher Education Services and Clinical Practices or at this website.

Disposition Assessment

Decision Point 4 disposition assessment takes place during student teaching.

CPR Training

You must have this training completed before you apply for a teaching license.

  • We recommend that you complete your CPR certification in the six month period before applying for your teaching license. For most students, this would mean taking it just prior to or during student teaching.
  • CPR training is frequently offered each semester by the English Education Club.

Note: You also have to have this training before you can qualify for a substitute teaching license.