Graduate School Banner

For Transfer of Credit Status Students

Transfer of Credit Status

Clearance to enroll in graduate courses may be granted to students who are intending to transfer courses back to their home institution. Transfer of credit students are not taking graduate courses toward any graduate degree or licensure program at Ball State University and are not considered to be admitted to the Graduate School.

Clearance is granted to students who hold a baccalaureate degree and are actively pursuing a graduate degree program at another regionally accredited college or university and who wish to earn credits for transfer to that institution. Transfer of credit students normally will not be required to submit official transcripts (see next paragraph). However, students must request the dean of their graduate school to complete the Ball State University “Transfer of Credit Status Form” indicating they are in good academic standing (i.e., not under academic probation, suspension, and/or expelled).

If the student has been offered admission to a graduate school at another institution but has not taken any graduate courses at the time transfer for credit status is requested, then the applicant must apply for regular nondegree status and meet all of the requirements for “Admission as a Nondegree Student” found in the Graduate Catalog.

Approval for enrollment as a transfer of credit student is generally given for one academic semester. To be considered for an additional semester, students must reapply as a transfer of credit student. 

Students who subsequently wish to be considered for admission to any graduate degree or licensure program at Ball State University must complete the regular admission procedure (including the appropriate application fee) and meet all requirements for their requested program. No more than 9 hours earned as a nondegree student may be applied to any advanced degree program if a person is admitted as a regular graduate student.

Contact Us
Graduate School
West Quad, Room 100
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Phone: 866-285-GRAD (toll-free)
or 765-285-1301
Fax: 765-285-1328
View E-mail Address