Specific Requirements for Thesis (THES 698 – 6 semester hours) 1. The thesis will embody the results of a study of some subject directly related to the student's area of specialization. The thesis must show that the candidate possesses the abilities to pursue a research problem successfully and to draw valid and significant conclusions from the data. The student must have a committee of three faculty members selected in consultation with the department chairperson and approved by the dean of the Graduate School.
2. The topic must be approved by the advisor and the department chairperson as well as the dean of the Graduate School before students will be permitted to register for THES 698. The Topic Approval form for the thesis is available in PDF format or may be obtained in the Graduate School office.
3. Students who write a thesis must enroll for six credit hours in THES 698. The thesis cannot be used to meet the requirements for any course except THES 698.
4. Students must include a one-page (100-150 words) Abstract of the thesis briefly describing the nature of the study and its findings (see sample
5. The Title Page includes the following: title of paper, name, degree, requirements being fulfilled, full name of institution, advisor, and month and year the degree is to be conferred. Use only capital letters (see sample Title Page).
6. The Acknowledgement Page is a statement of indebtedness to other persons for assistance.
7. Submission to the Graduate School – The entire thesis in its final approved form must be submitted to the Graduate School as follows:
a. Original thesis, an abstract, and any accompanying materials is submitted electronically by student to the dean of the Graduate School.
b. The "I" Removal Form for THES 698, if applicable (the department will send this form to the Graduate School; the student is not responsible for it).
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241