The Gates Cambridge Scholars program enables outstanding graduate students from outside the United Kingdom to study at the University of Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of candidates' intellectual ability, leadership capacity, and desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others.
- Candidates may come from any country in the world except the United Kingdom.
- Candidates should be under the age of 30.
- Students must be admitted to Cambridge through the university's normal academic procedures.
- Candidates must have a bachelor's degree before beginning study in Cambridge. (Applicants already may have completed a master's degree if entering a PhD program.) Candidates must have exceptional academic achievement (including a high GPA and GRE scores) and scholarly promise. They should demonstrate a strong aptitude for research, analysis, and a creative approach to defining and solving problems.
- Candidates must be well prepared for the course for which they are applying to Cambridge, and their aspirations should match up with what Cambridge has to offer.
How to apply
- Applicants must apply to the University of Cambridge; extra steps are added for scholarship applicants. The Graduate Application Pack is available online.
- Applicants do not need to be nominated by Ball State; however, they are strongly advised to work with Barb Stedman, director of national and international scholarships, in preparing their application materials.
- At least six weeks before the deadline--preferably earlier--students should call 765-285-1024 to schedule an appointment or send an e-mail to email@example.com if they have questions.
- By the end of December, short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview in early February.
Gates Cambridge application guidance for Ball State students
- Click to access an application packet prepared specifically for Ball State students who apply for a Gates Cambridge scholarship. It contains tips on creating the best application possible, a timeline and checklist, advice on getting strong letters of recommendation, and sample essays.
- You will need to enter your Ball State username and password to gain access.
- All materials must be received by October 11, 2017.
Duration and amount
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships fund one to four years of study at Cambridge, depending on the student's particular program of study.
- The scholarship covers the full cost of study at Cambridge: all tuition fees, a maintenance allowance, airfare between Cambridge and home, and a discretionary contribution for the support of dependents.