JournalismC

The Story of the Department of Journalism

Ball State University has offered journalism courses since 1922, first through the departments of English and speech. In 1964, the university approved a journalism major, and four years later, Ball State officially launched the Department of Journalism.

In the 1960s, two journalism faculty taught 16 journalism courses. Today, course offerings number more than 70 each semester, and our faculty has grown to 26. In 1979, we earned our first accreditation from the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Since then, we have been successfully reaccredited in 1986, 1992, 1998, and 2004.

In our early days, we were part of the College of Sciences and Humanities. Today, journalism resides within Ball State’s College of Communication, Information, and Media, and we work jointly with others in the college on interdisciplinary projects and programs, preparing students for the ever-changing professional media environment.

We are located in the Art and Journalism Building, which features state-of-the-art classrooms and student media laboratories.

Department of Journalism
Art and Journalism Building (AJ), room 300
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Phone: 765-285-8200
Fax: 765-285-7997
View E-mail Address