To start the transfer process, contact transfer coordinator, Dr. Glenn Stone. You may contact him a year or more before you are ready to transfer. Early communication allows you to see if the social work degree is for you, get answers to questions, and find out how best to prepare for the transfer. If you are able to visit in person, think about sitting in on a class and taking a tour of the campus.

To transfer to our program:

  • Submit a university admissions application. Contact the Office of Admissions for more information on admission requirements and procedures.
  • Send in official transcripts. If you are currently enrolled in another institution, you may need to send in two transcripts, one now to begin the admissions process and one when you complete your current semester's academic work. Request that a transcript be sent from every college you attended, even if you only took a course or two at one school. Ball State won't process your application until all transcripts are received and accepts only official transcripts sent directly from other colleges.
  • Meet with an advisor in the Upper Division Advising Center in AC 224. Once you have been accepted into the university, you'll get a letter telling you to call the Advising Center to schedule an appointment with an advisor to orient you to the general education requirements, the registration process, obtaining an e-mail account, and getting a student ID. You can't register for classes until you meet with this advisor.
  • Meet with the Social Work Department advisor. Once you schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor in the Upper Division Advising Center, you should also schedule an appointment for the same day with the Social Work Advisor, Kim Taylor, in the Department of Social Work. Kim will advise you on the specifics related to the bachelor of social work (BSW) degree and assist you in developing an academic plan that will ensure your timely completion of the BSW degree. She also will talk to you about the process for formal admission to the major.