General Information About Licenses Under REPA

License Application Under REPA (Effective May 14, 2010)

In-State Graduates
The institution where you completed the course work for an original license will recommend you. You can apply for the license online through the Teacher Online Licensing System which is used by Ball State.

The completed paper application must be sent to a licensing advisor for signature before it is sent to the state.

Out-of-State Graduates/License Holders
Out-of-state graduates and license holders must complete a paper application and submit directly to the Office of Educator Licensing and Development (OELD). Click here for information on that process.

Upon completion of the 2-year teacher residency program, applicants must apply directly to the OELD by paper application following the directions of the residency program.

LICENSE RENEWAL – Bulletin 400, Rules 46-47, Rules 2002, and REPA
Initial Practitioner License

Persons holding the initial practitioner license and who have not completed the residency program must submit a paper application to OELD. Click here for information on that process.

Proficient Practitioner, Provisional, and Standard Licenses
These license holders can renew their license by four methods

  • Six (6) semester hours of course work completed at an accredited Indiana institution after the issue date of the license you are renewing. It is no longer necessary to receive approval in advance for this coursework. Renew online or by paper application submitted to the Licensing Advisor at your Indiana institution. The online website is used by Ball State University. If you completed six hours of course work at two or more Indiana institutions, you must renew under the Professional Growth Plan (see below).
  • Six (6) semester hours of course work completed at an accredited out-of-state institution. Submit a paper application and official transcripts directly to OELD. The six hours must have been completed after the issue date of your license.
  • Professional Growth Plan (PGP) – For more information about the Professional Growth Plan, click here. This is the option for individuals not using coursework for license renewal.
  • National Board of Professional Teaching Standards Certification (NBPTS) – Submit all materials and a copy of your NBPTS certification to OELD.

Professional and Accomplished Practitioner License Renewals
These license holders can use any of the four (4) methods above to renew their licenses. Individuals must submit paper applications to OELD. Click here for information on that process. These licenses now have 10-year renewals.

Some secondary content areas can be added to your current license by taking and passing the appropriate PRAXIS II test or by completing the required course work. If you add by passing the PRAXIS II test, you should apply by paper application directly to OELD. For those who completed the required course work, you should apply to the licensing advisor at your Indiana institution. This can be done by submitting a paper application or applying online. Ball State University uses the online application process.

Proficient practitioner applicants for the accomplished practitioner license must apply on paper to OELD. Click here for information about this process. You will need to obtain an official transcript as part of this application process.

The option to professionalize Rules 46-47 or Bulletin 400 licenses no longer exists. The accomplished practitioner is the only option for a 10-year license.