Indiana has a compact with many states to honor Indiana instructional, administrative, and school services licenses. Called reciprocity, this agreement through the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) allows an individual to submit their valid Indiana license to participating states and receive a minimum one-year temporary license. During that year, the individual would be able to work while completing any deficiencies (Many states require a state history course or different tests). The most current information on reciprocity agreements among states can be found on the NASDTEC Web site.

Frequently, when applying for a license in another state, there will be a form you will need to have completed by your initial certifying institution. If Ball State certified you initially, please send your form to the Office of Teacher Education Services and include any time limits and where the completed form should be sent.

To determine licensing requirements in another state, you must contact that state. Due to the many changes each state makes in their licensing requirements, this office cannot keep accurate and up-to-date information. The Web sites for selected states including those that border Indiana are listed below: