Theatre Mission and Objectives Statement
The mission of the Department of Theatre and Dance at Ball State University is to provide a pre-professional and liberal arts training for all students within the disciplines of acting, musical theatre, dance, design and technology, directing, stage management, theatrical studies, and theatre education. The department is committed to having an ethnically and culturally diverse, stylistically varied, and technologically enhanced production season that is driven by our curriculum choices. The department encourages National, Regional, and University partnerships that broaden the educational and professional experiences of both our students and our faculty.
Objectives for the Department of Theatre and Dance are (not in any priority order) :
1. To provide academic training and practical experience for students who wish to pursue careers in Theatre, Dance, and related fields or who wish to continue their studies at an advanced professional or graduate program.
2. To develop the students’ artistic sensitivity, creativity, and integrity.
3. To afford the opportunity for students to develop a significant level of competency in one option area – acting, design and technology, musical theatre, theatre education, dance, production or theatrical studies.
4. To expand students’ knowledge of theatre history, dance history, dramatic and dance literature, dramatic and dance theory, as well as current trends in the arts.
5. To encourage an appreciation and understanding of related disciplines.
6. To provide quality “Introduction to Theatre” and “Introduction to Dance” courses for the University’s Core Curriculum Program that will encourage students to become enlightened and appreciative audience members.
7. To expand the liberal education of all students who enroll in Theatre and Dance courses or who participate in theatrical productions.
8. To assist in the preparation of future teachers of theatre in the public or
private school system, K-12.
9. To provide students with career counseling and professional opportunities while attending Ball State University in order to facilitate the transition between undergraduate training and their profession, graduate school or other potential areas of employment.
10. To serve as a cultural resource for the University and the community at large.
11. To engender in our students, the University community, and the general public an appreciation and understanding of theatre and dance and how these art forms have enriched our cultural and aesthetic life.
Copyright © 2015 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241