Linnaeus Neal Hines, 1921-1924
Linnaeus N. Hines became president of the Indiana State Normal School and its Eastern Division on October 21, 1921. He had served as a member of the Board of Trustees and the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Although Hines tenure was relatively short, the college saw significant growth and change during this period. From 1919 to 1922, enrollment increased from 180 to 522. Science Hall and a new heating plant were constructed and work on Ball Gymnasium began. The Easterner, the college newspaper, began publication in 1922. To honor the Ball family for their generosity, the name of the institution was changed to "Ball Teachers College, Eastern Division, Indiana State Normal School" by the Indiana legislature in 1922. Hines resigned as president in the fall of 1924.