Ball State University Archives & Special Collections offers custom-tailored primary source and archival literacy instructional sessions for classes in all academic disciplines that provide students the experience of 1) viewing, 2) identifying 3) searching, 4) interpreting, 5) evaluating, or 6) creating primary source archival material in print and digital formats.
Instructional sessions incorporate archival material from the following collection areas: Digital Repositories, Drawings and Documents Archive, Middletown Studies Collection, Special Collections and Rare Books, Stoeckel Archives of Local History, University Archives
- Introductions to Archives
- Single-session, focused instruction sessions
- “Show and Tell” sessions focused on specific primary sources
- In-class searching and analysis activities
- Embedded instruction (collaborative, ongoing instruction throughout a semester)
- Custom-designed resource guides and instructional tutorials
- One-on-one research consultations
...that allow students to gain:
- Experience contextualizing, evaluating, and synthesizing information
- Experience searching, identifying, and analyzing primary source archival material
- Digital research skills
- Opportunities to use primary source materials in the development of creative, entrepreneurial endeavors and community projects
- Opportunities to create unique works of digital scholarship
- Experience using archival materials to analyze current social issues through a historical lens
- Awareness of relevant primary sources related to an area of study
Instruction sessions are designed using a student-centered approach, emphasizing learning outcomes that develop research skills and foster creative expression. Learn more about learning outcomes of our instruction sessions.
Examples of Sessions
Learn more about the diverse set of instruction sessions that we offer for a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses across many fields and disciplines.
Planning an Instruction Session
For more information on scheduling and planning a class or tour, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (765) 285-5078.