Requests for Materials
Collections development in the Educational Resources Collections is guided by the Library Collections Development Policy. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to request titles for addition to the Educational Resources Collections. Faculty assigned to departments need to submit suggestions for titles to be purchased from the department's library allocation to their departmental library representative. Other personnel may complete the on-line Library Material Suggestion Form. Contact the Media Librarian, Diane Hill, at 765-285-5333 for further information.
Previewing and Renting Media
Requests to preview or rent media materials not held in the Educational Resources Collections should also be submitted via the departmental library representative. Personnel not associated with an academic department who need to rent or preview media should contact Library Acquisitions directly, 765-285-5444.
All faculty and staff are encouraged to review and evaluate titles which are currently available for preview. The Preview List contains programs recorded off-air as well as video rentals and other titles being held for preview purposes.
Educational Resources accepts gifts for all collections per the guidelines in Gifts to the Libraries.
Due to space limitations, materials are routinely reviewed for deselection. This process is based on the guidelines in Deselection of Library Materials. The criteria for evaluating materials in the Educational Resources Collections for deselection are:
• Infrequent use
• Currency and timeliness of information
• Accuracy of content, relevance of themes, and fairness of racial, cultural, or sex role depiction, except where prejudiced material serves as a resource for social historians
• Badly worn, damaged, mutilated condition
• Little used duplicate copies
• Historical value
• Continuing relevance of materials to curricular or research needs of the institution
An additional criterion for evaluating media materials is:
• Availability and condition of equipment on which materials are to be used