The eight-story Studebaker East is home to 430 men and women year-round and was opened after extensive renovation in fall semester 2012. The living-learning communities for Languages and International are located here.
Studebaker East features central air conditioning as well as rectangular double rooms for students. Students also can take advantage of the multipurpose room and space for meetings and presentations, along with a new computer lab, fitness room, two-story lounge spaces, a laundry facility that uses card readers, and a music practice room.
Furniture in Studebaker East is stackable with desks, chairs, beds, dressers, and closet space for each resident. Each room has a phone jack that can be used with an IP phone or standard telephone. Wired Ethernet and wireless Internet service is also available.
While this building does not feature an eat-in food service, the nearby Micro Cafe, Noyer Centre, and Tom John Food Shop dining locations offer a variety of choices.
Studebaker East was granted gold status after being remodeled to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standards as developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.HistoryWhile Studebaker East is no longer split into two living areas, originally halls Menk/Hurlbut were named for two professors who were involved with Ball State during its early history. Edgar A. Menk was a professor of foreign languages and department head from 1929 to 1948. He is remembered as a quiet, scholarly man who could read French, German, Spanish, Greek, and Latin and speak three of those languages fluently. Floy Hurlbut was a professor of geography at Ball State from 1931 to 1954. She had four rewarding careers as a geographer, a missionary teacher, a meteorologist, and a business woman. Keenly interested in the geography of the world and its people, she spent 43 years in the classroom, teaching students geography so they, too, might better understand the earth’s people.
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241