We're glad you chose to live in the residence halls at Ball State! If you currently live on campus at Ball State and plan to live in the halls next year, here are the steps to the online room sign-up process for 2013. Be sure to see our tips information for returners also: Roommate Request and Search Web - opens January 21. Request a Roommate: This part of the Web site, available on January 2, helps you identify other students who have similar living habits (i.e., I like to sleep late, I don't like to listen to loud music, etc.) and then gives contact information so you may talk more about your preferences directly. You don't have to use the Roommate Search if you already know who your roommate will be (but you will need to use this site to tell us who your roommate will be) or if you prefer to be assigned a roommate. During the process you will be asked to use a personal identification number (PIN) while you're using the Web site. You will need to share this PIN with your intended roommate (and vice versa) when making a roommate request. However, this PIN does not take the place of your Ball State username and password.
You will also use the Roommate Search Web to request and confirm your roommate. Please confirm your roommate before using the Room Sign-Up Web. When you confirm your roommate in advance, then this person will come along to the other available bed space in the room automatically when you request a room.
Room Sign-Up Web and Renew Your Contract - begins January 14
2. Select a Contract Type: Choose the Premium Plan two-year contract or the Standard Plan one-year contract. Students on the Premium Plan enjoy several perks and save about $600 each year.
3. Select a Meal Plan: Choose from the following value meal plans: 21 Plus, Any 18 Plus, Any 14 Plus, Any 10 Plus.
4. A/C for Medical Needs (optional): If you currently have an air conditioner unit in your room, or have a medication condition that requires A/C (and you are not requesting a space in a hall with A/C, complete the this step. (There is an additional form to download for your physician to sign.)
5. Select a Room (Same Room or Different Room): This section essentially has two parts -- the first is to request your same room, which we strongly encourage students to do. You will want to do this on Same Room Sign-Up days on January 14-18. Then the next part will allow you to select a different space or room swap, during Different Room Sign-Up January 28-February 8. (Housing and Residence Life will send you an email later in January to let you know what time slot day/time you have to go online to make your different room request.) There is an additional Different Room Sign-Up for any current resident February 11-22. This function allows you to select a different room or bed space, depending on availability. The Web will work in real time, so what you search for is what will be available at that moment in time. You will have three minutes to confirm your move online but may come back and change your room/bed space as often as you wish.
To look for an available space during your time slot day/time or during the time for any current resident, follow the prompts to select a residence hall you're interested in, then select a floor. If there are available rooms on that floor, they will be listed and you may select a room and bed space. If there are no available rooms, then none will be listed. Remember, the Web works in real time and other students will be looking for (or room swapping) spaces at the same time.
First-year Premium Plan students do not need to renew their same room/bed space. Their same bed and meal plan from 2012-2013 will automatically be assigned, but they can select a different space during their time slot. (Note for first-year Premium Plan students: Do not be alarmed that the Web under the link Application Status says your application is not complete. This is a problem with the system. Your application is complete because it was an automatic download into the database.)
If you don't find your first hall choice available, then sign up for a wait list. You may request up to three hall/room types.
6. Review and Renew Your Contract: You will be asked to renew your housing contract at the end of the session. If you do not agree to the contract terms, the information will not be saved, a contract will not be assigned, and you will not have a space in the residence halls for the coming year. The deadline for submitting information online is 5 p.m., Friday, February 22. You may still request a contract after this date, but will not be able to select a hall, room, or bed space online. You may request a space in person at the Office of Housing and Residence Life, LaFollete Complex N-10, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, but requests submitted late will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and the time slot date/time will not be followed. Also, due to the anticipated larger freshman class, if you do not request a room by the deadline, we cannot guarantee there will be available space.
You can also find online tips and frequently asked questions about Room Sign-Up for returners.
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241