Frequently Asked Questions

When can I extend my housing and dining contract for the next year? 
If you want the same room next year and are on the standard one-year contract or are completing the second year of a Premium Plan contract, please plan to go online during the Renew Your Bed time. If you change your mind, you can still change rooms later in the Room Sign-Up process using the Room Swap tool.

You also can request a roommate and change your meal plan on the Room Sign-Up Web.

What is the deadline to extend my contract online?
The deadline for using the online sign up is 5 p.m., Friday, February 21. You may still request a contract after this date in person at the Office of Housing and Residence Life, LaFollette Complex, room N-10, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contracts requested late will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis and the priority date will not be followed.

May I choose any room in any hall? 
To look for an available space during your timeslot day/time or during the time for any current resident, follow the prompts to select a residence hall you're interested in, then select a floor. If there are available rooms on that floor, they will be listed and you may select a room and bed space. If there are no available rooms, then none will be listed. Remember, the Web works in real time and other students will be looking for (or room swapping) spaces at the same time.

The Room Sign-Up Web operates in real time, where you may request a specific hall and room (based on availability) and this space will be reserved in your name. You will also be asked to sign an electronic contract at the end of your session. If you do not agree, the information will not be saved, a contract will not be assigned, and you will not have a space in the residence halls for the coming year.

What is the difference between requesting a different room and room swap?
If you have already requested the same room, then you may use the room swap tool to request a different room. If you did not request your same room, then you must use the search for a room option as you essentially have nothing to "swap" or trade. If you have at an earlier time requested a different room, then you can use the room swap tool.

Bottom line: The room swap online tool works for students who have already requested a space, either same room or different room.

How many times can I change my mind about a room? 
You may change your mind as often as you wish, but please plan to make your final online selection before 5 p.m. Friday, February 21. Changes you wish to make after that time must be submitted in writing at the Housing Office (LaFollette Complex, room N-10). No requests for change in hall or room assignment will be accepted after Friday, May 2.

When will I be notified of the results of room sign up? 
See your request details online by viewing the Your Contract link.

If my first choice isn’t available, is there a waiting list for rooms? 
Yes, waiting lists are available for halls on the Room Sign-Up Web site. After February 21, contact our office at LaFollette Complex, room N-10, to sign up for a waiting list.

If I am a standard contract student living in a double as a single, am I guaranteed my room for next year? 
Yes, if you contract your current room as a double as a single for the academic year or do so by Friday, January 17, you may retain the same room for next year. (Students living in DeHorityParkStudebaker East, and Kinghorn Halls are not eligible to keep a double as a single for next year.)

Standard and Premium Plan Students: If you want to keep your current double as a single room for next year but want to have the room switched back to a double and have a roommate, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 765-285-8000 before the end of Renew Your Bed (January 14-17) week so that we may change the accommodation type in the system to reflect the correct room type and contract rate.

What happens if a student is sick and can't sign up during his/her time?
If you have advance notice of a situation that will prevent you from signing up during your time slot, then contact our office in advance of your priority time to request a different room. We likely will not be able to remedy situations after the fact. Students also may sign up at any time after the beginning of their time slot until the process ends.

What if I want to live on campus but want a different meal plan?

Please go online and request a different meal plan before July 11.  

What happens if I don't pick a meal plan?
If you do not select a meal plan, the 21-Plus plan will be assigned. You may change your meal plan until July 11 for the coming fall semester.

Do I have to have a roommate? 

Yes, unless you are living in a room designated as a single room. If you do not request a specific person to live with in a double room, one will be assigned later in the summer by your residence hall director. Unfortunately we have a limited number of double as single rooms. 

May I choose my roommate?
Yes, you are welcome to request a roommate, however, both roommates must select each other. If you do not have someone in mind to room with, you may use the Roommate Search Web during Request a Roommate Week to help identify potential students also looking for roommates. To save time, we encourage you to look for a roommate before requesting a space in the Room Sign-up Web.

What if my intended roommate doesn't currently live in the halls? 

If your roommate is a Ball State student and currently enrolled, please encourage him/her to go online to the Room Sign-up Web and complete the areas of the application that he/she is eligible at this time. That way you will be able to find this person in the Roommate Search area. If we haven't received a contract from the roommate by July 11, the space reserved will be made available to others. 

How much will it cost to live here next year?
The Ball State University Board of Trustees approves the room and board rates each year. To view this year's rates, visit the Room and Board Rates page

Do resident assistants (RAs) who are returning to the halls need to request a room?

Current RAs returning to their positions next year will fill out a contract (sent to them at a later date) and should not request a room online. Prospective RAs should request a room during the sign up period if they would like to return to the residence halls next year if not hired as RAs.

I'm in the Honors College and my friend who is not in the honors program wants to live with me in DeHority. Is that possible?
Yes, if you are currently roommates in DeHority Complex and you renew your spaces during Renew Your Bed before 5 p.m., January 17, Housing and Residence Life will accept your requests. After this date, honors students with non-honors roommates should select a space designated honors on the first floor of Park Hall. A limited number of rooms in Park will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for returning students and non-honors roommate pairs. If you do not wish to live in Park Hall, you may request a room in another hall.

I live off campus or will commute from home. Is there a meal plan available for me?
Yes, learn more about our plans for off-campus and commuter students here. Purchase a meal plan using the application at www.bsu.edu/housing/apply.

What if I have questions?
Look at our Tips page or please call Housing and Residence Life at 765-285-8000 for more information.


Housing and Residence Life
LaFollette Complex (LA), room N-10
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday (summer 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.)
Phone: 765-285-8000
Fax: 765-285-3743
View E-mail Address