Soon it will be time to move home for the semester break. Here are some helpful tips to complete before leaving the residence hall.
- Leave within 24 hours of your last final.
- Remove the trash in your room.
- Return any dishes and silverware to Dining that was "borrowed."
- Unplug everything. There may be power outages during break.
- Close and lock your window.
- Close the drapes/blinds if you live on the ground level. Open the drapes/blinds if you live on the upper floors.
- Turn on the heat to prevent water pipes from freezing.
- If you live in a hall with central air conditioning, please leave three feet of clearance from the unit so maintenance staff can install a new air filter.
- Clean out your refrigerator, defrost the freezer, and unplug. All perishable items should be removed and the door left open to prevent mold.
- Turn off your alarm clock.
- Water all plants and feed the fish. We suggest that you take plants and fish home as the hall will be closed for about 20 days and custodians cannot water plants or feed fish.
- Take home any valuables, including notebook computers and jewelry.
- Take home any prescription medication, dress clothes for special events, and any other items you may need during break.
- Take home your driver's license and/or passport.
- Turn off the lights and lock the door to your room.
- Follow the check out procedures outlined by your RA or hall director.
The halls will close for break on Saturday, December 17, at 6 p.m. The halls will reopen for spring semester on Sunday, January 8, at 9 a.m.