The mission of the Teachers College is located on the web - Mission of Teachers College.
MISSION OF BURRIS LABORATORY SCHOOL
As its mission, the Burris Laboratory School, a school established by the Teachers' College, provides the development, demonstration, and dissemination of effective and innovative teaching practices, offers an exemplary pre-service clinical program for teaching majors, accommodates research, and operates an educationally-sound instructional program for its K-12 population. This mission is based on the belief that all students can learn and will be empowered to develop to their fullest intellectual, social, artistic, and physical potentials.
VISION OF BURRIS LABORATORY SCHOOL
Burris Laboratory School will be recognized as an outstanding laboratory school in the United States for exemplary practices in the areas of:
GOVERNANCE OF BURRIS LABORATORY SCHOOL Burris Laboratory School (hereafter referred to as Burris) was established as a laboratory school by Ball State University (hereafter referred to as University). It is governed by the University's Board of Trustees and Ball State Teachers College. The Dean of Ball State Teachers College, the assigned Superintendent of University Schools and the Principal of Burris are responsible for the administration of Burris.The leadership and governance of Burris is the Burris administration working in collaboration with various vested stakeholders (faculty and staff; students; parents; community leaders; teachers college) who are served and employed by Burris
Burris is a public school and is held accountable for the policies and procedures of the state of Indiana as well as the expectations of Ball State Teachers College and University leadership.
Established as a clinical or laboratory school for education preparation at the University, Burris is expected to be an exemplary leader and model school focusing on the best educational practices in curriculum articulation and design, formative and summative assessment data, and innovative and engaging instructional strategies. Burris teachers and administration work collaboratively with University faculty and administration in the parparation of educators, action research, and continuous school improvement.
HISTORY OF BURRIS LABORATORY SCHOOL Burris Laboratory School was established in 1929, as part of Teachers College, Ball State University, and the Muncie Schools. The purpose for Burris, as outlined in the Mission Statement, has not changed significantly throughout the history of the school. Burris is no longer a part of the Muncie Schools. Since 1974 it has been a separate school district and has the entire state of Indiana as its enrollment district. In 1990, Burris, with the addition of the Indiana Academy of Science, Mathematics, and Humanities, became part of University Schools. In 2004, Burris and the Indiana Academy became separate school corporations. Burris is the only school in the Burris Laboratory School Corporation. Burris School is named after Dr. Benjamin Burris, Dean of Teachers College, Ball State University at the time of the construction of the school. This building, which underwent an 11.7 million-dollar renovation in 1993, has always been the home of Burris School. The renovation not only improved the appearance of the inside of the building but also up-graded the facilities to include four computer labs, a distance learning studio and well-equipped science laboratories. Burris is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and by the State of Indiana. Burris does not have a school board; therefore, the Ball State University Board of Trustees is the ultimate authority for school policies.
Copyright © 2013 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241