To assist employers in Indiana and across the world, we have focused special attention on our role to help you identify and hire interns for your organization.
- James Mitchell consults with organizations to help establish new intern programs, identify talent pools, and connect with resources and faculty on campus. Contact him for assistance.
- Cardinal Career Link provides you a platform for posting internship positions (along with full-time and part-time openings).
- Employer Internship Guide (PDF): We have developed this Ball State-specific guide to help you navigate the process of hiring interns from our institution.
- The Career Center also participates with IndianaIntern.net. This state-wide resource, powered by the Indiana Chamber, provides you the opportunity to
- Post internship job descriptions from across the state for candidates to view;
- Attend events, such as the Indiana INTERNnet IMPACT Awards Luncheon; and
- Nominate interns, faculty, and companies for state-wide recognition.
- Cardinal Connect Internship Stipend
The Cardinal Connect Internship Stipend is intended to assist Indiana employers who have never hired an intern or employers that do not have robust, meaningful internship programs. The program may provide up to eight stipends per year of funding up to $1,000 of internship wages for eligible internships. A business may only receive funding for one intern.
ELIGIBLE BUSINESSES are Indiana businesses, including for-profit businesses and non profit organizations which do not have well established internship programs.
ELIGIBLE STUDENTS must be enrolled full-time at Ball State University.
ELIGIBLE INTERNSHIPS are high quality internship positions that pay at least minimum wage, are of a sufficient duration to allow students to gain valuable work experience, and are approved by the Career Center. The internships can be for-credit or not-for-credit experiences.
Appropriate internships include employment of a student in a professional or technical internship position for a limited period of time by a business in Indiana in which the Student (a) gains valuable work experience, (b) increases knowledge that assists with career decision-making, and (c) assists the business in accelerating short-term business objectives. Sufficient duration will be determined individually for each application and internship description (Internships that are of a sufficient duration are typically at least 160 hours, but if for-credit, duration vary by academic department). Internship positions may not take the place of permanent full-time positions.
Internships must have at least three meaningful objectives that are related to the student’s career goals.
PAYMENT for hiring an intern will be in the form of a lump sum payment directly to the employer of up to $1,000 of the internship wages after documentation that the internship has been completed. Employers must pay the intern at least minimum wage during the internship and then will be reimbursed up to $1,000 of the interns wages after the internship has been completed. The student may earn more than $1,000 but reimbursement to the employer is limited to $1,000.
In the selection process, strong consideration will be given to employers who place high emphasis on internships with the following attributes:
- Located in Indiana
- Includes opportunities to develop internship goals related to the professional goals of the intern
- Includes tasks and responsibilities with a purpose beyond advancing the operations of the employer
- Within an industry or business with a significant economic impact on the project area (Miller College of Business and the College of Science and Humanities)
- Provides compensation at or above minimum wage
- Provides a mentor that will work closely with the intern Includes minimal menial tasks
- Provides a diverse learning experience
- Has the potential to grow internship opportunities over time
Cardinal Connect Internship Stipend Application
2017 Summer Semester Application Deadline: March 15, 2017
2017 Fall Semester Application Deadline: June 21, 2017
2018 Spring Semester Application Deadline: November 8, 2017
For questions or information about the Cardinal Connect Internship Stipend contact James Mitchell.