If you are a student who is working with minors, particularly those under 18 years of age and
non-high school graduates, you will be required to complete a background investigation
Ball State University and our service provider, Reference Services, Inc. (RSI)
have established a procedure for conducting background investigations for
This four-step process will help to reduce errors in reporting
and provide complete, thorough results to inquiries.
1) Your employer will notify the Student Employment Coordinator, via e-mail, that you are
required to have a background investigation due to the nature of your work assignment.
The e-mail will include:
- Your Student I.D. Number
- Your Student BSU e-mail address
This information can be found on your referral slip so be sure to deliver it to your
supervisor during your interview.
2) This information will be forwarded to our vendor (RSI) which will provide you, in an
e-mail, a Website, Logon ID and Password you
may use to input required information.
The e-mail will be from Reference Services, Inc., so do not discard the e-mail!
3) RSI will perform the background investigation and send notice to the
4) Your employer will receive the results of the background investigation from