Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of persons hire to work in the United States.

Ball State University uses the Federal E-Verify authentication process to confirm that those hired by the university are eligible under the law to hold employment within the United States.  The university will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with the information from each new employee's From I-9 to confirm work authorization.  If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, the university is required to provide you written instructions and an opportunity to contact SSA and/or DHS before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment.  In order to determine whether Form I-9 documentation is valid, Ball State University uses E-Verify's photo screening tool to match the photograph appearing on some permanent resident and employment authorization cards with the official U.D. Citizenship and Immigration Services' (USCIS) photograph.

Regulations governing the completion of the Federal I-9 Employment Verification Form require the Student Employment Office, "Physically examine each original document(s) the employee presents to determine if it reasonably appears to be genuine and relate to the person presenting it."


Upon being hired and within the first three days of your employment you must go to the Career Center to complete your Federal I-9 and present:

  • one document from list A or
  • one document from list B and one document from list C. The documents must be originals, not copies. The only exception is that you may use a certified copy of a birth certificate.

List A
Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  • For a non-immigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    • Foreign passport; and
    • Form I-94 or Form I94A that has the following:
      (1)  The same name as the passport; and
      (2)  An endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating non-immigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association between the United States and the FSM or RMI

List B
Documents That Establish Identity

  • Driver's license or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter's registration card
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Military dependent's ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record

List C
Documents That Establish Employment Authorization

  • A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  • Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security