If you use Blackboard and a student
needs extended time for an exam, there are two ways you could do this.
A) If you do not choose Force
Completion for your exams, you can simply permit the student to continue taking
the exam for the extended time. Please let the student know this and advise
that a prompt will still pop-up saying that the time has expired. The student
must then hit “Cancel.” The prompt disappears and the student can proceed with
their extra time.
B) The other option is to set
Adaptive Release settings for the specific student. Here is the new way to set
the Adaptive Release settings in Blackboard 9.1 SP 13:
In the Test Options, the timer must be set for the
- Then scroll down to Test Availability Exceptions.
- Click on Add User or Group.
- From that screen, you can check the box next to the
specific student. If you have multiple students needing extended time, you
can choose them all at once. Then click OK.
- The student(s) should now show up under Test
Availability Exceptions. From there, you can add the extended time under
the Timer heading.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page & click
Submit for the changes to take effect.
If you use Canvas and a student needs extended time for an exam, follow the instructions below.
- Login to the Canvas course page and select Quizzes from the left panel.
- Select the quiz to be edited and then choose the Moderate This Quiz link in the upper right hand corner.
- Locate the student to be given additional time and then select the Pencil/Edit button near the student name.
- Enter the number of minutes of additional time in the box for extra time, then press the save button.
Joel Whitesel from iLearn
(email@example.com; 765-285-7200) can assist with this if needed.