Blackboard is being used in more campus and online courses than ever before. Please consider whether the material you add to your Blackboard site is accessible to all students. If you record lectures or have video content, check to see if captions are included. Please purchase captioned materials whenever possible. If you use a digital textbook, check with the vendor to make sure that it is screen reader compatible.
If you use Blackboard and a student needs extended time for an exam, there are two ways you could do this. If you do not check the AutoSubmit box when you created the exam, you can simply permit the student to continue taking the exam for the extended time.
The other option is to create a separate section of the exam for this student and extend the time allotted for the test. Below are instructions for how to do this using Blackboard 9.1.
Step 1: Create a copy of the exam
- Access Tests from the Control Panel > Course Tools Menu > Tests, Surveys, and Pools > Tests.
- Select the Action Link next to the exam to be copied.
- Select Copy. A new exam is created with a (1) added to the name.
- You may choose to change the name. In order to comply with FERPA and other confidentiality requirements, the name should not identify the student or reveal that the exam has extra time.
Step 2: Set up duplicate exam in course
- Go to content area where the original exam is posted.
- Select the “Assessments” button from the Action Bar.
- Select “Test”. Add duplicate exam by highlighting title, then select Submit.
- Adjust availability and timer settings, hit submit.
Step 3: Add Adaptive Release settings
- Select the Action Link next to the separate exam.
- Select “Adaptive Release” from drop-down menu.
- Add the student(s) ID or Username to Membership Criteria, hit submit. You do not need to adjust the Date, Grade, or Review Status criteria. The exam is released only to those added via the Membership Criteria setting in Adaptive Release.
If you have additional questions about Blackboard, Hamid Tabariasl from Computing Services (765-285-1844) can assist with this.