University Human Resource Services

Employee FAQs

When do I get paid?
Non-exempt staff and service employees are paid every two weeks on a bi-weekly pay schedule, usually on a Friday.
Exempt staff are paid on the last working day of the month.

Where is University Human Resource Services?
University Human Resource Services is located on the 3rd floor of the Administration Building, Room 350; phone number is 765-285-1834.

Where is Payroll and Employee Benefits?
Payroll and Employee Benefits (PEB) is located on the ground floor of the Administration Building, Room 29; phone number is 765-285-8461.
For more information, see Payroll and Employee Benefits FAQs.

When can I use vacation?
Vacation leave must be approved by your supervisor.

How do I know how much sick and vacation time I have?
Sick and vacation balances are available on Kronos and Self-Service Banner (SSB).

How many holidays do I have?
Ball State University provides nine paid holidays per calendar year.  

How do I change a beneficiary?
Contact Payroll and Employee Benefits at 765-285-8461.
A form is available on the Payroll Forms page.

Where do I call to change my address or phone number?
To change any of these, go to Self-Service Banner (SSB).

Where do I go to change my name?
Present a new social security card with the new name to Payroll and Employee Benefits, AD 29.

Where do I call with questions on parking?
Contact Parking Services at 765-285-1208.

Where is Recreation Services located?
Recreation Services is located at Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC), room 201A (enter from the south for easiest access).

How do I get my BSU ID Card?
For Faculty and Professional personnel, the ID number is available from the employee's hiring department. For Staff and Service, personnel the ID number is available from your Human Resources Representative. BSU ID cards are available in the Office of the Registrar. Be prepared to have your picture taken.

Where do I get my computer sign-on and e-mail address?
Contact the Technology Helpdesk at 765-285-1517 and select "1" for technical assistance to speak to a representative about obtaining a username and password.

Must I submit an original transcript with my initial credential packet?
No, you do not have to do so.  However, if you are the selected candidate for the position, you must submit an original transcript before a job offer can be made.

Related Links

Learning & Development FAQs
New Employee Orientation
Roll Out the Red Spirit of Service
BSU Employee Guide