University Human Resource Services

Worker’s Compensation

This article contains important information about procedures for handling work related injuries or illnesses.

Reporting an Accident

Accident reports should continue to be completed by the injured employee's supervisor and should be forwarded to the Health Center within twenty-four (24) hours of the accident's occurrence. The Health Center FAX number is 765-285-1103.

Regardless of the nature or severity, all injuries incurred when on the job must be reported to supervision at once, during the same shift on which the injury occurred. The Health Center provides and/or directs the medical care for employees injured on the job. The Health Center hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Thursday, and Friday and 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday. The doors lock and last patients are accepted at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. respectively.

Accident Report Form

The accident report form to document all on-the-job injuries can be printed from HR Forms on the Ball State Web site.

Form: Worker's Compensation First Report (of Employee Injury/Illness)

Medical Treatment

Employees injured outside Health Center operating hours who are in need of immediate medical treatment but whose injuries are not so severe as to warrant Emergency Room treatment, should be referred to the US HealthWorks medical clinic on 3911 W. Clara Lane which is open 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. seven days a week, except major holidays. After Health Center and US HealthWorks hours or due to the severity of the injury, such injured employees should be referred to the IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital Emergency Room which is open twenty-four (24) hours a day every day.

The right to direct the medical treatment of employees injured on the job is retained by the University. Therefore, the decision of when and where to send an employee for medical treatment will be made by the person in charge of the affected employee's shift based on the nature and extent of the injury. If an employee is referred to US HealthWorks or the Emergency room, the person in charge of that shift who made the referral should leave a voice mail message for Employee Relations at 765-285-1823, so that the University may begin to manage the worker's compensation claim and verify worker's compensation coverage when contacted by the medical provider on the next business day.

If an employee is referred outside of the University for emergency treatment, the employee must follow-up at the Health Center the next day the Health Center is open. Although US HealthWorks or the Emergency Room clinics may advise the employee to return there or to his/her personal physician for follow-up treatment, such non-emergency visits are not covered by worker's compensation.

Departmental Regulations

In addition, specific internal departmental regulations for handling and reporting on the job injuries should continue to be followed.

Contact Us

Questions regarding worker's compensation or on the job injuries should be directed to Angie Gregory.

Training Module