All candidates who participate in the university commencement exercise must wear the appropriate academic attire.
Caps and Gowns
All Associate Degrees
- black gown
- black cap, flat mortar board, with cardinal tassel
All Baccalaureate (Bachelors) Degrees
- black baccalaureate gown (long, rounded sleeves)
- black cap, flat mortar board, with cardinal and white tassel
All Masters Degrees
- black masters gown (long, oblong sleeves)
- black cap, flat mortar board, with tassel and masters hood representing area of study
Degree Tassel and Hood match
M.A. Master of Art White
MAE Master of Arts in Education Light Blue
MAR Master of Architecture Light Purple
MBA Master of Business Administration Royal Blue
MLA Master of Landscape Architecture Light Purple
M.S. Master of Science Golden Yellow
MUR Master of Urban and Regional Architecture Light Purple
MPA. Master of Public Administration Teal Green
M.M. Master of Music Pink
All Doctoral Degrees
- black gown with three velvet bars on the sleeves
- black cap, soft or hard, with gold tassel, and doctoral hood representing area of study.
Degree Tassel and Hood
Ph.D. Doctor of Philosophy Gold Tassel and Royal Blue Hood
DA Doctor of Arts Gold Tassel and Pink Hood
EdD Doctor of Education Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
EdS Specialist in Education Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
AuD Doctor of Audiology Gold Tassel and Rhodes Blue Hood
DNP Doctor of Nursing Practice Gold Tassel and Apricot Hood
Due to the formality and tradition of the ceremony, the only accessories to be worn at the main commencement ceremony with the traditional cap and gown are those issued by the university and listed below. Candidates may wear other cords, sashes, and regalia to their college, school, or departmental ceremonies and receptions.
Approved University Regalia Accessories
- cum laude – bronze medallion
- magna cum laude – silver medallion
- summa cum laude – gold medallion
- College of Architecture and Planning –stole approved by the college
- Honors College – red and white cords
- Military - red, while and blue cords
- Mortar Board – gold and silver cords
- Phi Kappa Phi – blue and gold cords
- Golden Key - blue and gold cords
Where to Buy Attire
You can buy the official Ball State commencement cap and gown at the Ball State Bookstore in the Art and Journalism Building.
Caps, gowns, announcements, rings, and diploma frames are available for students to order or pick up.
You also can get a Bachelor's gown embroidered with the Beneficence shield mark. Visit the bookstore to view a sample and get additional pricing information.
All mail orders must include a charge of $6.95 for shipping and handling.
Online ordering is available. Online orders must be placed two weeks prior to the ceremony date to allow delivery time.
Cap and Gown Prices
||Price, including tax
||Shipping and Handling
|Associate degree cap, gown, and tassel ||$48.98 ||$15.95 ||$59.80
|Baccalaureate degree cap, gown, and tassel ||$48.98 ||$15.95 ||$59.80
|Master's degree cap, gown, hood, and tassel ||$83.42 ||$15.95 ||$99.37
|Doctoral and specialist degree cap, gown, hood, and tassel ||$99.47 ||$15.95 ||$115.42
Thank you cards and many other graduation items also are available at the bookstore. For more information, call the Ball State Bookstore