Honors College and Academic Honors
Honors College graduates wear red and white honors cords.
Students graduating with academic honors wear medallions signifying their honors designations. If a student forgets their medal on graduation day, a booth providing them will be located near line-up. For more questions about medals, contact the registrar's office.
Students graduating with academic honors must have earned at least 60 credits at Ball State and a total of at least 120 credits including transfer credits.
Your Ball State grade point average must be:
- 3.6 to 3.799 for cum laude
- 3.8 to 3.899 for magna cum laude
- 3.9 to 4.0 for summa cum laude
If final grades change the honors designation, the new designation will be printed on the diploma and transcript. Academic honors designations are for bachelor’s degree recipients only.
Associate Degrees with Academic Distinction
Student who earn associate degrees will have the designation “Academic Distinction” noted on their transcript and diplomas if they:
- maintain at least a 3.6 grade point average
- earns at least 30 graded credits from Ball State
Military Honor Cords
Graduating students who have served in, are currently serving in, or are commissioning upon graduation into the military are wearing red, white, and blue honor cords as part of their commencement regalia.
We proudly recognize these students and their service to our country.
Students who qualify for a cord and/or medallion will be sent instructions on picking up these items. These will also be available on commencement day at the following location for each ceremony:
- spring commencement – the line-up site for the main ceremony
- fall commencement – the line-up site in Worthen Arena
- summer commencement – the line-up site in Worthen Arena