The John R. Emens Award is named in honor of Dr. John R. Emens, former president of Ball State University, in emulation of his outstanding services and contributions to the University. The Emens Outstanding Senior Award recognizes the most outstanding senior student in honor of his or her cumulative record of co-curricular achievement, leadership, and contributions to Ball State University during his or her undergraduate years.
Ball State University students who meet all of the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- Graduating senior during the current academic year (e.g., Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Summer 2017)
- Graduating seniors who are nominated by another student, faculty member, staff member, or campus organization and submit a letter of nomination
- Graduating seniors who submit a completed nomination packet by the established deadline
- Graduating seniors who are in good standing
Basis of Selection
The committee will discuss and consider the following for all nominees:
- Record of Contributions and Service*
- Short Answer
- Letter of Nomination
- Academic Performance
The most outstanding nominees, identified using the criteria above, will be invited for an interview with the selection committee. For top nominees who progress to the interview stage of the selection process they will be evaluated on the above criteria, as well as the quality of their interview.
*Nominees may establish their contributions in leadership and service to the university in areas including, but not limited to, the following:
- Competitive Activities
- Departmental Activities
- Student Organizations
- Greek Life
- Multicultural Organizations
- Political Organizations
- Religious Groups
- Governmental Activity
- Campus Employment
Criteria Used to Evaluate Record of Contributions and Service to Ball State University:
- Breadth and Depth of Contributions: A strong nominee will have not only a range of contributions and service experiences, but also establish the quality of those contributions and experiences.
- Accomplishments within Organizational and Leadership Roles: A strong nominee will demonstrate accomplishments within their organizations and leadership roles.
- Impact of Contributions: A strong nominee will articulate the positive impact their contributions have had on the university and students.
Criteria Used to Evaluate Short Answer:
- Quality and Clarity of Response: A strong response will be well written, thoughtful, and clear.
- Content: A strong response must appropriately reflect the prompt and answer the questions posed.
- Support of Application: A strong response must support and compliment the overall application.
The Committee is composed of professionals, faculty, and students appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services. Committee members are representative of multiple areas including: the President’s Office, Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, Admissions, University Governance, Student Governance Association, and Residence Hall Association.
To Be Nominated:
Download nomination form, complete, and print. Submit hard copy of nomination form and letter of nomination to AD 238. Completed nomination packets must be submitted to Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, Administration Building, 238 by Monday, March 20th at 5pm.
John R. Emens Award for Outstanding Senior Nomination Form