Student Center

History

Dedicated on November 20, 1952, to honor Lemuel A. Pittenger, former president of Ball State Teacher's College, the L.A. Pittenger Student Center is a historical building on campus.
 
The purpose of the Student Center is to create an environment which encourages out-of-classroom experiences and to provide many of the essential services needed on a daily basis while fulfilling the role of a college union. Offerings of educational, recreational, cultural and social activities meet the needs of the diverse campus community and aid in achieving this goal.

Since the original construction of the building, there have been two additions to the facility and periodic renovations of the interior. The most recent renovation project, to be completed in 2010, will include a transformed entrance, a remodeled food court, and many more improvements. 

With these building expansions and renovations, corresponding changes have taken place in programs and services. The University Program Board is responsible for coordinating many of the student directed activities that take place in the building. The Late Nite @ Ball State series, funded originally by the Lilly Endowment, offers a multitude of activities throughout the building on Saturday nights.

Through the years and changes, the L.A. Pittenger Student Center has not lost sight of its focus: the students.