College of Fine Arts degree programs in music, theatre, and dance are nationally accredited.
Ball State has one of the nation's leading music teacher-training programs.
- Our music media production program is one of only a few of its kind in the nation, blending science and music and encouraging students to explore electronic music with the latest digital technology.
- The School of Music's annual Chamber Music Festival is believed to be the longest-running continuous university-affiliated series of its kind in the country.
- Ball State's Musical Arts Woodwind Quintet is one of the nation's oldest and most distinguished chamber ensembles of its kind.
- The School of Music is an All-Steinway School, where all pianos used by music students for practicing or performing are Steinway.
- The Jazz Lab Ensemble has performed four times at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, the world's largest music festival and leading jazz festival.
- Since 1964, the Ball State University Singers have been recognized as one of America's top collegiate entertainment organizations, performing as Indiana's Official Goodwill Ambassadors in nearly 20 countries, at major entertainment competitions, and at presidential inaugurations.
- The Music Instruction Building features a 600-seat "tunable" performance hall, a digital studio that can record performances in the hall and practice rooms, and state-of-the-art music technology studios.
Theatre and Dance
- Since 2004, students from the Department of Theatre and Dance
have been invited as national qualifiers to the yearly Kennedy Center American
College Theater Festival (KCACTF), one of the nation's premier events for
collegiate theatre programs.
- Ball State has Indiana's largest theatre and dance program.
Programs in the
School of Art are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and
- With more than 11,000 works in its collection, the David Owsley Museum of Art at Ball State University is one of four art museums in Indiana with a notable, well-rounded collection, and the only such facility in east central Indiana.
- The David Owsley Museum of Art is nationally recognized for excellence through accreditation from the American Association of Museums, loans works for major exhibitions at museums across the country and overseas, including the Musee du Louvre in Paris and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
- School of Art faculty members have works in prestigious private and corporate collections and many museums.