Next Steps toward Choosing a Major
Now that you have interest areas and majors that you are considering, determine the next steps you would like to take to continue your career exploration.
- Take the FOCUS II. Create a username and password. Enter the access code: cards.
- Meet with our Major/Minor Coordinator Dave Owens in NQ 339. Call 765-285-1161 to schedule an appointment.
- Meet with a Career Counselor in the Counseling Center in Lucina Hall Room 320. Call 765-285-1736 to schedule an appointment.
- Visit "What can I do with my major?” on the Quest website. Click on the majors that interest you. Then click on the career titles that interest you. Review what type of work you would do, the work environment, how to pursue that profession, salary information, job outlook, and similar occupations.
- Visit the department websites. Find out more about the major and career opportunities.
- Meet with the Primary Departmental Advisor. Find the advisor and contact information in the Advising Handbook.
- Visit the Undergraduate Catalog. Review the major requirements and the course descriptions for that major.
- Visit the Career Resource Lab in Lucina Hall Room 235. This office provides extensive and up-to-date information on career options and trends. Books, periodicals, newsletters, videotapes, computer programs, career-related reference materials, brochures, and other information are easily accessible.
- Contact Senior VIPs (very informed person). These are Ball State juniors and seniors who represent their major. You can contact them to get the student perspective about the major(s) that you are interested in. You can receive their contact information from your advisor.
- Visit the Major/Career Planning Collection. This website provides access to information about Ball State majors, including departmental links, student representatives for most majors, and audio interviews.
- Take an introductory course for that major. Talk with your advisor for options.
- Join a student organization related to that major by visiting the Pride Guide for a list of organizations.
- Find volunteer opportunities through Student Voluntary Services.
- Find part-time jobs, full-time jobs, or internships related to that major through Career Link.
- Job shadow a professional in that field. Contact the Primary Departmental Advisor for contacts.