Planning is underway for a celebration of your anticipated graduation on May 6th. The following information will provide you with important details and instructions.
1. Participation - Only students who will complete all degree requirements by the end of the Spring Semester are eligible to participate in this ceremony. If you are planning on participating you should have completed your graduation application, when doing this you indicated your participation in the ceremony.
2. University Ceremony - The University Ceremony is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. on the Arts Terrace. The CAP contingent (Baccalaureate and Masters Candidates) will line up for the procession at 9:00 a.m. near West Quad and will be led into the ceremony by our faculty marshal and our banner carrier. Encourage your guests to arrive early to get good seats. Tickets are not required. Campus parking is free.
3. CAP Ceremony - At the conclusion of the University Ceremony you will process to the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) to line up for the CAP Ceremony procession. You will need a name card for phonetic pronunciation of your name and other pertinent information for the photographer (please fill out both sides of the card). We will hold open hours for card and stole pick up the first week of May. Date and time for this will be emailed to you in late April.
The College Ceremony will begin at noon. Adequate seating should be available for your family and friends at the ceremony location in the SRWC. Tickets are not required. Again, our marshal and banner carrier will lead us into the college ceremony site.
All graduates will be recognized; you will walk across the stage to receive your diploma (case), and will be greeted by the Dean and your department chair. Your diploma will be mailed to you at a later date. Notify the Commencement Office (285-1689) if it should not be sent to your current home address.
4. Masters Degree Recipients - For the main university ceremony, please wear your hood.During the College ceremony, we will have a hooding ceremony for you so please remove your hood when you get to SRWC for the line-up. Have your hood draped over your left arm when approaching the stage for the College ceremony. You will be hooded by a member of the Board of Trustees and your department chair.
5. Rain Plans - In the event of rain (or snow), the University Ceremony will be moved to Worthen Arena, and the College Ceremony will begin at 12:30 in SRWC. News concerning possible cancellation of the outdoor ceremony will be carried on WBST, 92.1 FM and WLBC, 1320 AM or 104.1 FM. Listen after 6:00 am or call campus information — 289-1241. This information will also be available on the BSU web site.
6. Photographs - You will be photographed by a professional photographer as you receive your diploma (case) from Interim Phil Repp. You will be sent a proof from which you may order prints, pay special attention to the information on the back side of your pronunciation card.
7. Reception - Immediately following the college ceremony, a reception for you and your guests will be held in the first floor atrium of the College of Architecture and Planning. Punch and cookies will be served. This is an excellent location for photos.
8. Academic Regalia - Your cap and gown may be purchased at the University Bookstore. College stoles bearing the design of the 2016 competition winner will be available for pick up during specified dates and hours the first week of May. We will email pick up information to you. Honors College cords and medallions for those baccalaureate candidates graduating with academic honors will be handed out by the President at the Honors Banquet. If you are not attending the Honors Banquet they can be picked up in the Commencement Office(Lucina Hall, B4) at any time.
9. Diplomas - Your diploma will be mailed to you approximately 4 – 6 weeks after graduation. If you have outstanding financial obligations to the university your diploma may be held and you will not be able to receive transcripts if you owe the university money. Notify the Commencement Office (285-1689) if it should not be sent to your current home address. You can change your home address on the self-service banner site.
Stop in and see Lori Pence, Assistant to the Dean in AB 104 if you have questions or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Congratulations to the students of the class of 2017!
Copyright © 2017 Ball State University 2000 W. University Ave. Muncie, IN 47306
800-382-8540 and 765-289-1241