You must meet both the admission requirements for the Graduate School and our department's criteria.
We invite you to apply to one of our master's programs if:
- you hold a bachelor of science (BS) or a bachelor of arts (BA) in chemistry and have at least one year of calculus-based physical chemistry.
- you have completed at least American Chemical Society (ACS) certified bachelor’s work or work beyond the bachelor’s. You may have one or more of the core course requirements waived. Please note you should speak with your advisor about this option
- you have a substantial chemistry background but have an undergraduate degree in another discipline such as biology, medical technology, pre-medicine, or pre-dentistry. You may have to take additional course work in chemistry.
Admissions to both our master's programs require:
- bachelor's degree in chemistry or in a field with substantial chemistry background
- a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- two letters of reference
- transcripts of all previous undergraduate or graduate course work
- completed Graduate School application
We do not require a Graduate Records Exam (GRE) for either of our master’s programs.
Learn more about how to apply.
Department of Chemistry
Ball State University
Cooper Physical Science Building, room 305
Muncie, IN 47306
Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays