Professor, Ball State University, 1943-1966
Ph.D. Indiana University, 1929
M.A. Indiana University, 1928
A.S. Indiana University, 1925
Dr. Robert Shelley joined the BSU science faculty in 1943, after having taught in the Lew Wallace High School for twelve years. Holding a Ph.D. in physical chemistry from Indiana University, he taught several science courses but had particular responsibility for teaching quantitative analysis. He was actively involved many professional societies. He was a charter member of Sigma Xi, served as the National President of Sigma Zeta, and was the secretary-treasurer of the Indiana Section of the American Chemical Society. During World War II, Dr. Shelley taught cadets in the Army Specialized Training Program at Ball State. Professor Shelley was also active in campus affairs and had served as president of the American Association of University Professors. Dr. Shelley served the university for twenty-three years and played a major role in the design of the Cooper Science building.