Associate Professor of Chemistry
Institute of Physical Chemistry of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine Ph.D. (1988)
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology M.S. (1984)
Rosokha Research Group
Our research is focused on the intermolecular interactions and their role in chemical reactions. Primarily, we study halogen bonding’ an attraction between halogen atoms and electron-rich centers, and anion-π bonding, a counter-intuitive attraction between anions and aromatic or olefinic systems. Such interactions were recently identified in many chemical and biochemical systems and several publications demonstrated their significant potential for variety of applications, from crystal engineering of conducting and magnetic materials and molecular recognition, to control of chemical reactivity and rational design of pharmaceutical compounds. This project is supported by the grant CHE-1607746 “RUI: Supramolecular anion-pi and halogen-bonded complexes and their role in electron-transfer processes” from the National Science Foundations (Macromolecular, Supramolecular and Nanochemistry Program in the Division of Chemistry).
We also study intermolecular pi-bonding involving ion-radicals. Elucidation of such interactions provides fascinating data for the development of fundamental concept of chemical bonding. Also, this bonding is vital for the reactions of the ion-radical in solutions and conductivity of their salts, which frequently show unusual magnetic and (super-) conducting properties. This project is supported by the grant PRF #56516 “Characterization of ion-radicals’ pi-bonding and electron transfer using cation-radical salts with weakly-coordinating anions” from the American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund.
Students participating in research projects: (i) gain skills in basic organic and inorganic synthesis, common spectral (UV-Vis-NIR, FT-IR) and electrochemical measurements, crystallization of solid-state materials; (ii) enhance knowledge of chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics and reaction mechanism, (iii) get experience in scientific literature analysis, data evaluation, preparation of reports and manuscripts.
Selected Recent Publications
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Lukacs, E.;# Ritzert, J.;# Wasilewski, A.# Mechanism and thermodynamics of reductive cleavage of carbon-halogen bonds in the polybrominated aliphatic electrophiles. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2016, 120(10), 1706-1715.
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Loboda, E.A.# Interplay of halogen and pi-pi charge-transfer bondings inintermolecular associates of bromo- or iododinitrobenzene with tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 2015, 119, 3833 – 3842.
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Vinakos, M.K.# Halogen bond-assisted electron transfer reactions of aliphatic bromosubstituted electrophiles. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2014, 16, 1809 – 1813.
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Stern, C.L.; Ritzert, J.T.# Experimental and computational probes of the nature of halogen bonding: complexes of bromine-containing molecules with bromide anions. Chemistry – A European Journal, 2013, 19, 8774-8788.
- Rosokha, S.V.;* Stern, C.L.; Ritzert, J.T.# Pi-Bonded molecular wires: self-assembly of mixed-valence cation-radical stacks within the nanochannels formed by inert tetrakis[3,5-bis(trifluoromethyl)phenyl]borate anions. CrystEngComm, 2013, 15, 10638 – 10647.
- Rosokha S.V.;* Korotchenko, V.; Stern C.L.; Zaitsev, V.; Ritzert, J.T.# Substituted-induced switch of the role of charge-transfer complexes in the Diels-Alder reaction of o-chloranil and styrenes. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 5971-5981.
* – Corresponding author # – Student co-author