We admit students for every semester, so you may submit an application at any time. Space is limited, and not all applicants who meet minimum admission requirements may be accepted. In most cases, the admissions committee will request an interview with the applicant.
Individual departments award most assistantships to begin in the fall semester. For best consideration for assistantships, all application materials should be submitted by March 1 for the following academic year; January 1 if you are an international student.
In all cases, all application materials, including completed application forms, official transcripts, recommendations, and test scores must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the end of the semester prior to the semester in which one desires to begin study.
Because of the lengthy process required to process all materials, international students should submit all of their application materials at least one full semester prior to the start of the semester they plan to begin Ball State studies.
Each year, Ball State hosts international students and scholars from more than 80 countries. If you're an international student, apply through the Rinker Center for International Programs
If you do not hold a degree from a college or university where English is the first language of instruction, results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), taken no more than 18 months prior to the date of admission, are required.
All of the materials below must be submitted. Some materials are submitted to the Ball State University Graduate School, and some are submitted to the program directly.
- Application form for admission to the Graduate School
- Application fee
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores, for both the general test and the subject test for your intended science major, no more than five years old
- One official copy of transcripts from all previous college work. Transcripts must be sent to both the Graduate School and to the doctoral program. Our department's mailing address is Department of Geological Sciences, Ball State University, Fine Arts Building, room 117, Muncie, IN 47306.
Materials to Submit to Our Department
- Online application form
- Official copy of transcripts from all previous college work. Transcripts must be sent to both the Graduate School and to the departmental doctoral program.
- Three to five letters of recommendation that address your potential as a teacher and a scholar. Recommendations should be relevant to the degree program—science or science education—for which admission is sought. At least two of the references should address your potential for academic success in a doctoral program, and at least two other references should address your potential success as a science educator or postsecondary teacher of science. Note: One person may address one or both of these areas.