Employment and Graduate Assistantships

At Ball State, we offer more than 940 graduate assistant jobs to new and continuing students each year. If you want to gain important teaching, administrative, or research experience and take up to 12 hours each semester and pay only a portion of tuition costs, you should apply for a graduate assistantship through your academic department.

You are eligible for a position as long as you are in good academic standing, and you are enrolled in at least 6 hours per semester. Some departments have additional requirements, and application deadlines also vary by department.

Full-time graduate assistants work 20 hours a week and receive a waiver of tuition fees and a stipend determined by the department, along with bookstore discounts and other perks. Your assistantship does not cover the following fees: Graduate Assistant Fee, tech, recreation, health, course, lab, program or special fees required by Ball State University. You are responsible for paying all fees not covered by your assistantship each semester or term.

Half-time assistants work 10 hours a week and receive a waiver of half of their tuition costs and a stipend. Your ½ time assistantship covers 55% of: Basic Tuition and Non-Resident Fees. Your ½ time assistantship does not cover: 45%of Basic Tuition, 45% of Non-Resident Fees; Student Services Fee, grad fee, tech, recreation, health, course, lab, program or special fees required by Ball State University. You will be responsible for those fees each semester or term.

You’ll still need to pay a portion of fees, although you’ll receive other perks as well. For more information, review our a list of frequently asked questions about graduate assistantships. 

You can review the Guidelines and Information for Ball State University Graduate and Doctoral Assistantships.

You can also download an informational brochure (PDF) describing graduate assistantships at Ball State University.

Additional Employment Opportunities

As a graduate student, you can work part-time on campus. However, if you are working as a graduate or doctoral assistant, your department chair must approve any additional employment, either on campus or off campus, and the dean of the Graduate School must also approve additional on-campus work. Learn more about opportunities.

If you have a spouse who is interested in part-time or full-time employment, he or she can peruse the university's job postings.
Graduate School
West Quad, Room 100
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Phone: 866-285-GRAD (toll-free)
or 765-285-1301
Fax: 765-285-1328
View E-mail Address