Grants are an excellent way to pay for your education because you don’t have to repay them. As a graduate student, you have many kinds of grants you can explore—some provide general funding for your education, and others support student research. 

The Office of Academic Research and Sponsored Programs 
You can apply for an internal research or creative arts grant from this university office. If awarded, you’ll receive up to $500 to help pay for project costs such as travel, supplies, data acquisition, or survey costs. Call the office for more details at 765-285-1600 or access application procedures, internal grant guidelines (PDF), deadlines, and other information online.

Lyell Bussell Memorial Scholarship Fund
If you are pursuing a graduate program in the Teachers College, you may be eligible for research and travel grants through the Lyell Bussell Memorial Scholarship Fund. You can use this money to pursue research for your dissertation or to pay travel expenses involved in making presentations at regional, state, or national conferences. The fund also awards stipends to pay summer research assistants working with a faculty member.

Educational Testing Service summer internship program
With this program, you can spend two months during the summer conducting research under the guidance of an ETS mentor in Princeton, NJ. Sixteen selected interns will conduct research on a project of their choice. To be eligible, you’ll need to have completed at least two years of course work toward your PhD or EdD.

Joseph W. and Marcella S. Hollis Fund
If you are studying psychology as a graduate student, you can apply for grants of up to $500 from the Joseph W. and Marcella S. Hollis Fund for supplies, equipment expenses, and travel costs associated with a proposed project.

Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
You can apply for grants through the Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance for funding research, program or curriculum development, public information, or workshops that focus on human wellness, human movement, and the development of knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to maintain and improve overall health and quality of life.

Central States Universities Inc. Awards
You can perform some of your graduate research at an institution that is a member of the Central States Universities Inc. (CSUI), a consortium of 11 Midwestern universities dedicated to improving instructional and research programs in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering. The organization offers awards for travel to other institutions as well as support for exchanges between students and faculty members at participating institutions. For application information, contact Uwe J. Hanson, physics department, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN 47809.
Fax: 812-237-4396

Community of Science
You can explore funding opportunities for graduate student research available through Community of Science (COS), an organization that brings together scientists and researchers at more than 1,600 universities, corporations, and government agencies worldwide. COS maintains a database of grants, fellowships, and award programs worth more than $33 billion.

Graduate School
West Quad, Room 100
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306

Phone: 866-285-GRAD (toll-free)
or 765-285-1301
Fax: 765-285-1328
View E-mail Address